News

2 Children Burnt to Death After Gas Explosion

  • Two children were burnt to death at their home in Gakuyu village, Murang’a County, after a gas cylinder exploded inside the house.

    The siblings aged three and four had been left at home alone when they lit a matchbox that led to the fatal explosion.

    Area residents unsuccessfully tried to put out the inferno in a bid to save the children, largely due to strong winds that fanned the fire.

    The fire incident in Donholm on Friday, March 26, 2021.

    The fire incident in Donholm on Friday, March 26, 2021.

    Kahumbu MCA Erick Kamande asked parents to be more vigilant whenever they leave their children at home alone to avoid such regrettable incidences.

    “Make sure that there is no matchstick whenever you leave your children at home on their own. If possible, make sure that the gas cylinder is at a place where a child cannot reach,” he stated.

    Some of the important precautions that need to be taken to ensure safety in a house include; storing the cylinder in an upright position and in a well-ventilated space away from heat, open fire or children.

    Beware of smell that may indicate that the gas is leaking. In case of this smell, do not light a fire or operate any electrical switches. Open all doors and windows, disconnect the cylinder and place it outside the building.

    It is also important to return the cylinder to the station of purchase in case you detect a leak.

    The incident came a few weeks after three children were burnt to death after a fire gutted their house in Siaya County. Two of the children were twins while one was was aged five years.

    Image of a house on fire

    Image of a house on fire

    The Standard

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com