Itumbi had been missing for hours after a suspected abduction. He was picked up on Thursday by four men along Kiambu Road as he left a barber shop, witnesses said.
Witnesses said the men approached Itumbi and forced him to the back seat of a silver Toyota Allion before they drove away towards the city centre.
He tried to resist in vain. The men confiscated his mobile phone during the 3pm incident.
The issue was reported at the Thindigua police station, police confirmed.
By Thursday evening, Itumbi’s car, a Mercedes Benz, was still parked in the parking lot next to Joes Apartment, opposite Quickmart supermarket, Kiambu Road.
Police, politicians and some members of the United Democratic Alliance (UDA) party visited the scene as police said they had launched investigations. No claim had been made so far.
His friends rushed to Parklands police station following claims he was there in vain. They launched a search until midnight when news broke out he had been found alive but injured.
Nandi Senator Samson Cherargei addressed the media at the police station and claimed the blogger was taken away by state agents.
They promised to issue a comprehensive statement on Friday. Itumbi had been living in fear, his friends and family said.
The vocal blogger has not shied away from attacking senior government officials on several occasions.
On August 13, 2021 Itumbi had claimed that his car was shot at while driving in Garden estate, Nairobi.
He said his vehicle was blocked by an unidentified motor vehicle and he became suspicious and hit the vehicle before he sped away.
He added that as he was trying to get an escape route, he heard gunshots being fired towards his car.
Detectives who visited the scene said they did not find any evidence showing that there was shooting at the scene. The locals also said they did not hear any gunshots.
The matter was reported at the Kasarani police station. According to Itumbi, a self-declared Hustler Nation spokesman, he was headed to the Red Sport Restaurant to get his dinner at around 8pm when the incident happened.
In September 2021, Milimani Chief Magistrate Martha Mutuku put Itumbi and his co-accused Samuel Gateri on their defence in the criminal charge over the fake letter alleging a plot to assassinate DP Ruto.
Mutuku said the prosecution had proved its case against the two.
Itumbi is facing three counts including making false documents, publishing false documents and reprogramming a phone for lack of evidence.