Only two phones will be allowed in examination centers, Education CS George Magoha has said.
Speaking while opening the exam containers at the Kisumu central sub-county headquarters on Monday, the CS said the two phones will only be used for emergencies.
He accused some centre managers of using their mobile phones to take photos of exam papers and then distributing them to other schools.
“Exams get exposed when we give them to the head teachers who collude with police officers so that they can take photos and post… There is also a fact that there is a few who are exposing the second paper,” he said
On Sunday, Magoha announced new rules that will be applied immediately to curb the cases of exam cheating in the ongoing KCSE examinations across the country.
The new rules are:
- That all school gates must be kept wide open throughout the day’s examination hours to allow ease of monitoring of all processes.
- That security officers must sit at positions where they have a full view of the examination materials for the second daily paper as the morning paper is underway.
- That supervisors and invigilators must not take any time off from the examination rooms for any other activity while examinations are in progress
- The centre managers must not allow any unauthorised teacher(s) or staff to hang around the precincts of the school compounds during the examination season. Magoha said only teachers handling practical subjects will be allowed in examination centres during the days the subjects are taken.
- Mobile phones will not be allowed at the examination centre except one for the centre manager, and one for the security officer, both of which should be kept at the centre manager’s office in case of any emergency.