Arrested 'Sniper' Reveals Intrigues Before Lilian Waithera's Death

  • A suspect believed to be behind the death of the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF) staffer Lilian Waithera revealed intricate details of the fateful day. 

    According to a senior officer who spoke to the press, the suspect denied discharging the killer bullet but acknowledged that he was in the Nairobi Central Business District (CBD) when the incident unfolded.  

    The licensed firearm holder also admitted to carrying his rifle on the fateful day. He, however, claimed that he left it in his car before running some errands. 

    DCI officers carrying out investigations at Kaunda Street in Nairobi County on February 16, 2023.

    DCI officers carrying out investigations at Kaunda Street in Nairobi County on February 16, 2023.

    Capital Group

    The suspect also denied claims of going up any building around 5:00 pm around Kaunda Street in the CBD. 

    “He stated that he never went up to any of the floors at the building and he allegedly went and placed the weapon in his car before leaving,” the officer intimated. 

    Detectives arrested the 38-year-old businessman on Monday, February 20, around 2:00 pm, and grilled him at the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) headquarters along Kiambu Road.

    Officers traced the suspect to his home in Kenol, Murang’a County, where it is reported that he stayed for the entire week after the incident was reported. 

    The businessman surrendered his firearm to the police, which was subjected to a ballistic examination to determine if his bullet was used to kill Waithera. 

    As investigations continue, police are pursuing every possible lead to establish whether the NHIF staffer’s death was a targeted execution or resulted from a stray bullet. 

    Waithera was shot dead on Monday, February 13, while walking home beside her colleague along Kaunda Street. 

    CCTV footage retrieved by police revealed that she suddenly collapsed,sparking confusion as no gunshot was heard. 

    An ambulance arrived 20 minutes later, and it took medics approximately 11 minutes to attend to the NHIF employee before she was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead on arrival. 

    An image on NHIF headquarters in Upperhill, Nairobi County.

    An image on NHIF headquarters in Upperhill, Nairobi County.


    dead weapon death gun murder arrest suspect

Jay Ndungu

Jay is a computer scientist and journalist with a passion for the intersection of technology and society. He has a background in computer science, developing a deep understanding of the technical aspects of the industry, including programming languages and software development methodologies. Currently, He writes for Nairobi Times, covering a wide range of topics including technology, politics, sports, and entertainment. With his unique combination of technical knowledge and journalistic experience, Jay brings a unique perspective to the stories he covers, able to explain complex technical concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. His work is dedicated to bridge the gap between technology and society, and to make people more aware of the potential of technology to make the world a better place.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com