SA could say goodbye to national carrier after sale authorisation | TechCabal

After 11-months of vetting the transaction, South Africa’s competition authority has given a thumbs up to sale of the country’s national airline.

South Africa’s Competition Commission has given the green light to Takatso Consortium to acquire a 51% stake in the national airline South Africa Airways. The Department of Public Enterprises (DPE) will retain the remaining 49% of the airline.

The  sale follows an 11-month investigation into the acquisition terms and conditions of the sale. The Competition Commission says it has approved the deal on condition that Takatso agrees to retain a minimum number of employees.

The commission found that the merger is likely to result in a substantial lessening and prevention of competition in the domestic passenger airlines market. That is because the merger will likely facilitate the exchange of competitively sensitive information between SAA and Lift, through Global Aviation and Syranix having shareholding and the ability to appoint directors to Takato’s board of directors.

“Takatso will have access to SAA’s competitively sensitive information by virtue of its majority stake in SAA, pursuant to the proposed merger. This concern is further exacerbated by the fact that the domestic passenger airlines market is highly concentrated, barriers to entry are high and is amenable to coordinated effects,” the authority said.

To remedy that situation, the authority added a condition that includes starting a process to allow some shareholders in the consortium to exit the deal in the spirit of fair competition in the domestic airline.

Get the best African tech newsletters in your inbox

Jay Ndungu

Jay is a computer scientist and journalist with a passion for the intersection of technology and society. He has a background in computer science, developing a deep understanding of the technical aspects of the industry, including programming languages and software development methodologies. Currently, He writes for Nairobi Times, covering a wide range of topics including technology, politics, sports, and entertainment. With his unique combination of technical knowledge and journalistic experience, Jay brings a unique perspective to the stories he covers, able to explain complex technical concepts in an easy-to-understand manner. His work is dedicated to bridge the gap between technology and society, and to make people more aware of the potential of technology to make the world a better place.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
WP Twitter Auto Publish Powered By :